Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Not in My Bed

Tuesday nights are getting out of control around here. Dan is usually gone on Tuesdays, and without him around to maintain some order, chaos reigns.

First off I had to in to work on my day off to cover for a co-worker who went home sick with a nasty stomach bug. I worked with her all day Monday, and with every twitch of my stomach, I was sure that I was about to be over come with nausea and vomiting.

Then last night, Piper and Olivia both slept with me in my king sized bed. We were all on the same side, with me huddled on the edge trying not to fall off. Both of their beds were empty and quiet. It's ridiculous and something that Dan would never stand for.  But I am a sucker for small, warm bodies cuddled up with me in my bed, so somehow, it is not difficult for both of them to end up under the covers with me.  I just always have it pictured that we will all be snuggled in the middle of the bed. But even if we start in the middle, it always winds up with me teetering on the edge. 

And then at 2:14 in the morning, I was awakened by Piper jumping off my bed. Piper usually sleeps like a rock all night long, so it was unusual for her to be up. And then, almost as soon as I was semi-conscious, I heard the unmistakable sound of barfing.

There is no more annoying noise in the world than that of your dog throwing up in the middle of the night. Go on, try and name one. I bet you can't.  But least a dog has the courtesy to get out of bed before they barf, which is more than you can say for a child. At least I didn't have to get up and start washing sheets.

Anyway, the night turned into an unending cycle of gagging and barfing noises, getting up to let the dog out, the dog barking to be let in, letting the dog in, just drifting off to sleep again and then more gagging noises.  My sleep-addled brain could not quite get a handle on the best course of action. I couldn't leave her outside. She would bark and wake up the neighbors. I didn't want her to throw up in her kennel, although  now I really cannot recall how her vomiting in her kennel seemed worse than her vomiting on my bedroom carpet.  And I just wanted to go back to bed. Of course, Olivia slept through it all, spread eagle on my side of the bed. Piper and I finally got a little bit of sleep from six to seven, then it was time to drag my rear out of bed and face another day,while Piper looked guiltily at me from her warm place at the foot of my bed.

I guess I'm glad it's not me throwing up. Cleaning up dog vomit in the middle of the night is perhaps slightly more appealing than being nauseous and vomiting yourself.  Oh, and the dog seems fine tonight. Of course, she got to sleep it off all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment