Wednesday, August 26, 2015

At Least It's Never Dull

Tonight, as I was passing through the family room, I looked at the couch and realized I could not remember the last time I sat down on it. My own couch. I spent a lot of money on that couch. I hope I get to sit on it again soon. The way life is going around here though, it may be a while.

Yesterday was especially eventful. Duncan and I went to check out a service mission opportunity for him. It looks to be the perfect place for him. He was really excited, as was obvious by his answer to the question, "So Duncan, what do you think?" He responded, "It's okay." I quickly explained to the folks we were meeting with that coming from Duncan, an okay was considered high praise.  We have already submitted his application, and now it is just a matter of waiting for all the pieces to fall into place.

After that, we drove out to Roy to go shopping at Winco.  Ninety minutes and  $200.00 later, the back of the car was chock full of food, and after everything was packed in, we climbed in to go  home and rescue our poor dog, who had been locked up in her kennel since early morning. Only, the car would not start. It was completely dead. It has been threatening to not start for a while now, and I just kept putting off getting it fixed. I mean, we had a wedding to pay for. Who can afford car repairs?

The timing could not have been worse. I just kept wondering which of my wonderful neighbors I could burden to come haul our butts AND our groceries home. And then, I realized I was not that far from Mitch's house. So I texted him, and bless his handsome heart, he came right away and rescued us. Took us and all our groceries home, packed in tight in his tiny Yaris, and drove me to the auto repair place to drop off my key so they could tow it for me. He was my hero yesterday.

The car was not the end of our troubles though. A few nights ago, one of our brilliant offspring cranked the thermostat down to 60, which caused the air conditioner to freeze over which caused the  blower on the furnace to burn out. Calling a repair guy to come look at it also necessitated cleaning out the furnace room, also known as the litter box room. I shall not go into deep detail on that, since I am still suffering from the trauma of it all. And did I mention that it was 95 degrees yesterday? The perfect day to have your air conditioner break down.

So yeah, between the groceries, the car and the air conditioner, it was an expensive day at Hotel Metcalf. I hope the guests appreciate the nice cool air and the luxury transportation.

And after all that headache, the day was redeemed by the sight of this:





Yep, that is my Livvi, riding a bike at long last and after many tears and tantrums. We have been working on the bike riding for five long years, and finally, yesterday something just clicked. She found her balance, and she was off, riding around for over an hour. The best part was when she raved about how much fun it was. After hearing her cry and complain for five years about bikes being  scary and she couldn't do it, and it was too hard and she might fall off, to see her having fun on a bike was one of those ultimate mom moment payoffs.

And the bike riding then lead to this.





Audrey finally decided to get out and give that long board that she got for Christmas a try. And she didn't do half bad either. Now we just have to teach Olivia about brakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment