Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Full Throttle

Today was my first day off since August 30. My first day off since Olivia went off track. I forgot how nice it was to not have to work. Don't get the wrong idea though. It wasn't like I was lying about on the couch eating bon bons and watching Dr Phil.  My list of obligations to kids and house has been multiplying rapidly during all those consecutive days of drug dealing, and if I had not had a day off today, I am certain the whole domestic experiment of which I am in charge would have detonated.

I spent the morning with kitchen chores and laundry. Then Duncan had a dentist appointment (no cavities!) and then needed a ride to the mill. When I got home, there was more laundry and cleaning to do, and Olivia went off to piano lessons. When she was done, we picked up Audrey from school and drove into Bountiful to do some frantic Homecoming dress shopping in the hour we had before it was time to pick up Duncan.  Olivia and I had fun as observers and judges of the Audrey fashion show- she must have tried on a dozen dresses. There were some really gorgeous dresses, but either they were too short, too long, too big, wrong color, etc. etc. I wish we had more time to look, but we have really put ourselves in a corner here. She found a dress that will work, although it needs to be altered to fit her.  It is very simple, but we are going to dress it up with some sparkly accessories and she will look gorgeous!  By the time we narrowed down the dress, I was already 20 minutes late to pick up Duncan. By the time we got there, he had been standing in the rain for nearly 40. Oops. A trip to McDonalds for a Dr. Pepper cheered him up.

Then it was home just in to time to host a Beehive activity here, with seven cute but loud 7th graders. We were supposed to go ice blocking, but it turned cold and wet so I had to scramble at the last minute for something to keep them busy. We wound up making posters and care packages for the missionaries in our ward, and playing a rousing game of zip boom. By the time I got everybody home, it was 8:30-  high time for dinner.  Tomorrow and Friday, it's back to my 11 hour work days.

It's not just me with the crazy schedule either. I don't really remember the last time Dan was home. He has had major projects going on at work, plus moving into a new office building, plus a load of extra TV work, plus movies and reviews. He is a busy guy. He gets a day off tomorrow, hopefully to catch up on sleep and kick back time.

Will got a second job and works pretty much from 11 am to 9 pm every day. In fact, he just texted me to let me know his shift has been extended tonight. Good practice for a mission.

And Audrey is trying to catch up on all the homework she missed while they were in California, plus keep up with her regular homework, plus work, plus play rehearsal. She is NEVER here. And probably won't be til December.

Life is good. It really is. But there is just so much of it. All the time.  Just when we think it is going to slow down, it speeds up double, always with somebody else who needs to be somewhere else at the exact same time as the other somebody needs to be across town. I just need a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment