Saturday, February 15, 2014

Charting Her Changes

Two happysad milestones today:

I stayed up really late last night, so at nine o'clock this morning, I was laying in bed, just waking up and thinking about how nice it was to just lay there and not have to move for a while.  Then I heard Olivia's door open, and I began to mentally prepare myself for her to come in to my room, like she does almost every morning that she is up before me.   I started to rev myself up to move,  and interact, and get her some breakfast.   I waited for my bedroom door to open and for her come busting in.  And I waited, and waited some more.  And she never came in.  I heard her go out to the family room and start playing with her new Little Ponies she got the night before.

She NEVER came to get me up.  It's probably  not the first time it has happened, but it's the first time I really noticed it.   Nobody got me out of bed this morning. Do you realize what this means? This is life changing.  It's been 24 years since I could stay in bed on the weekends without having to get up and take care of somebody.  It's a little sad.  But mostly amazing and wonderful.

Second, we were cleaning up her room today, and she decided, on her own, to sort through her toys and get rid of some.  She picked up a Barbie, declared it "creepy", and tossed it in to the discard pile.  She did the same thing with all the other Barbies, Barbie clothes, Kens, mermaids, all of it.  Barbie has been removed from her life.

I put all the Barbie paraphernalia  in it's own box and stuck them downstairs.  I'm saving them for my someday granddaughter.  I couldn't bring myself to get rid of them altogether.   This milestone is a little bit sadder for me than the first one.  She is growing up too fast.  However, I am reassured and comforted by the fact that even though she is done with Barbies, the toy she has moved on to is My Little Pony.  There is still lots of little girl left in her, at least for a few more years.

No comments:

Post a Comment