Sunday, November 12, 2017

Another Halloween in the BOOks

Most Halloweens, we are scrambling for costumes the night before, and searching for random odds and ends to complete ensembles right up until the last moment for trick or treating. This year, our three costumed kids were on point and ready well in advance, for the most part.

The jack-o-lanterns, which we normally purchase a few weeks ahead of time, were another story. This year, I ran by the farm stand at 3 pm on Halloween Day, after attempting a Walmart run only to find out Walmart was fresh out of pumpkins. Fortunately, Days Farms still had a lot, and we got some good ones. We ran home, and got the pumpkins cleaned out and carved on the front porch, since we didn't have a kitchen. Turns out we should have been carving them outside every year. Why did no one fill me on this? It was so much easier. Of course, it helps when  the weather cooperates, which it did this year. In fact, I would go so far as to say our Halloween weather was pristine.


Olivia and Piper enjoying the sunshine while I was up to my elbows in pumpkin guts.

Olivia had super cute hair for Halloween at school, even if costumes were contraband

  They turned out pretty good this year, eh?  Olivia's is the one on the left, I did the other two, since Audrey and Duncan were scrooges this year. And I long since gave up making Dan carve a pumpkin. He is the ultimate Halloween scrooge. In fact, I think I will dress him up as scrooge next year, and Ill be the ghost of Christmas Past
 Duncan was Link. He ordered his own costume on Amazon this year. 
 Olivia was a waitress. She was inspired by the musical Waitress, but she was not THAT waitress. I was happy that she went trick or treating this year. She and her friends are beginning to debate if they are too old to trick or treat. They had a party, then decided they better go hit the streets for a while too. She came home with a good load.
 And Audrey was Rey. She was invited to an actual Halloween party, which gave her the perfect excuse to get an actual costume, which we all know she really wanted to do, and was just looking for a good reason to dress up.

I stayed home costumeless and answered the doorbell. Then I talked Duncan into watching the first episode of Stranger Thiings with me. He stayed for the next three episodes too, although he won't admit that he liked it.






No comments:

Post a Comment